It has been a busy year at Intensity, and there are no signs of slowing down. In addition to joining Secretariat earlier this year, the firm has racked up some impressive wins, welcomed new experts, and received accolades.
We are grateful for our wonderful clients and the great work that we accomplish together. We look forward to continued success in the remainder of the year and beyond.
| Jennifer Vanderhart provided trial testimony on behalf of Moonbug in copyright litigation involving the copying of CoComelon characters, songs, and more. The jury found BabyBus willingly infringed dozens of Moonbug’s copyrights and awarded a total of $23,568,114. Dr. Vanderhart’s work was supported by Karthik Padmanabhan, Kira Stearns, Max Urman, and Peter Hawkins. READ MORE →
| Ryan Sullivan provided trial testimony on behalf of VLSI Technology in patent litigation involving Intel’s microprocessors. The jury awarded damages of $948,755,789, the exact amount testified to by Dr. Sullivan. Dr. Sullivan’s work was supported by Intensity analytical teams led by Jennifer Rosendin. READ MORE →
| Bruce Blacker provided trial testimony on behalf of Orange Electronic Co. Ltd. in patent litigation involving a tire pressure monitoring system. The jury awarded damages of $6,616,397, the exact amount testified to by Mr. Blacker. Mr. Blacker’s work was supported by Kyle Kost. The project support team also included Alex Gisquet and Grace Martens. READ MORE →
| Matt Farber provided trial testimony on behalf of dbest Products Inc. in patent litigation involving a transport cart patent. The jury awarded damages in the exact amount testified to by Dr. Farber. Dr. Farber’s work was supported by Alex Gisquet. READ MORE →
| Ryan Sullivan provided trial testimony on behalf of ClearPlay in patent litigation involving Dish Network’s AutoHop commercial-skipping feature. A verdict was returned in favor of ClearPlay with $469,074,468 damages awarded, the exact amount of the reasonable royalty testified to by Dr. Sullivan. Dr. Sullivan’s work was supported by Aminta Raffalovich and Kristyn Berretta. READ MORE →
| Ryan Sullivan provided trial testimony on behalf of Constellation Designs in patent infringement litigation involving television receiver technology. The jury awarded damages of $6.75 per unit for each infringing television, the exact amount testified to by Dr. Sullivan. Dr. Sullivan’s work was supported by Aminta Raffalovich, Anushree Subramaniam, Jennifer Rosendin, Ryan Sherrard, Alex Gisquet, and Isaiah Kline. READ MORE →
- Intensity and seven experts received recognition in the “IAM Patent 1000.” Ryan Sullivan was recognized for the tenth consecutive year and is joined in the rankings by Bruce Blacker, Richard Brady, Richard Manning, Nisha Mody, Aminta Raffalovich, and Steve Schwartz as top U.S. economic experts in the 2023 edition of Intellectual Asset Management’s IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals. READ MORE.
- Congratulations to Jennifer Vanderhart on her recognition by Who’s Who Legal as a “Thought Leader” in the category of USA Experts – Financial Advisory and Valuation – Quantum of Damages 2023. Read more and watch the video interview.
- Richard Manning, Steven Schwartz, and Anushree Subramaniam contributed to “An Overview of Market Definition in the Draft Merger Guidelines” along with Jason Albert, Jessica Dutra, Wei Tan, Pablo Varas, and Keith Waehrer of Secretariat. Read the overview here.
- Jennifer Vanderhart, Steven Schwartz, Richard Brady, and Aminta Raffalovich authored a chapter in The Guide to Damages in International Arbitration – Fifth Edition. Read more here.
- On May 18, Dominic Persechini spoke at the spring meeting of the San Diego Intellectual Property Association. He provided an overview of the partnership between technical experts and economic experts in calculating patent damages. The presentation included tips on damages calculations between method and apparatus claims.
- On May 5, Matt Farber was a panelist for the Los Angeles Intellectual Property Association’s Spring Seminar. Titled “The Anatomy of a Trial”, the panel covered trial strategy and preparation in intellectual property litigation and provided tips on expert testimony, evidence admissibility, and witness preparation.
- On April 26, Nisha Mody and Jennifer Vanderhart participated in the webinar “2023 World IP Day Celebration” put on by the Licensing Executives Society of USA & Canada to celebrate the amazing achievements of women inventors, creators, and entrepreneurs around the world. Read more about the event.
Spotlight on Expertise
- Opioid-related Litigation. Our team has deep expertise in pharmaceuticals, including litigation related to opioids. Stan Panis provided statistical analysis on behalf of the Florida Attorney General in a lawsuit over failure to perform due diligence on prescriptions; the suit resulted in a $683 million settlement. Read more.
- Banking-related Litigation. This year has seen some remarkable headlines in the banking industry. John Montgomery is an expert in financial economics, securities, banking and financial regulation, valuation, macroeconomics, and international finance. Read more.
New Faces & Promotions
Fred Selck is a consulting and testifying expert for the healthcare and life sciences industries, bringing our clients his thorough understanding of health economics, applied economics, intellectual property, patent infringement, antitrust, the False Claims Act, and fraudulent conveyance claims. Dr. Selck has testified in U.S. district courts, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, and the Delaware Court of Chancery, providing expert analysis related to asset valuation, commercial reasonableness, market definition, competition, and class certification in a wide range of complex healthcare and life sciences matters. With a Ph.D. in applied economics from Johns Hopkins University, Dr. Selck has published in numerous peer-reviewed journals and is a member of the Johns Hopkins professional faculty in health economics and health finance. Read more about his background here.
Intensity announced the promotions of Richard Brady and Aminta Raffalovich to the role of Managing Director. “During their time at Intensity, Richard and Aminta have consistently produced top-quality work product and championed our values of incredible responsiveness and relentless improvement,” Dr. Ryan Sullivan said. “As a result, they have built a strong foundation of trust that will take them far as they enter this next step in their careers.” Read more.